Saturday, August 2, 2008

When the lights go out...

Yesterday's UK headlines were all about the nuclear energy debate and wranglings.  Will French EDF (80-odd percent owned by the French government) be able to buy/run the British nuclear industry (30-odd percent owned by the British government)?  Apparently not, as at present but this important discussion has already dropped out of the headlines this morning.
Two interesting points to ponder: One, who has been the wiser, the French or the Brits, in the level of reliance on private industry to plan for the (far) future?  I know who I'll put my money on.
Two: Once again another example here of the total lack of long-term planning and vision by successive UK governments in respect of securing a safe future for its people.  I don't feel that frustration here in France.   I see daily examples of an inherent sense of duty by the state, départements, local authorities etc. as, for example, the execution of continuous maintenance regimes on the roads, public buildings and other amenities.
To return to the subject of energy security I now live under a long-established nuclear/hydroelectric regime, envisaged over 30 years ago by the French.  (The World Nuclear Association website here gives the French situation).  My house is powered by electricity and wood.  My bills have increased, of course, but are not subject to these lurches in cost currently being experienced in the UK due to government failure to obtain energy security. 

And here, I'm a citizen, not a subject.  Vive la République!




No comments:

adsense